Occasionally, traveling with a dog is quite disastrous. Like the one time that the RV door didn't get closed and our daughter found our dog ALL the way across the park. She said we were bad parents. I reminded her that SHE was still alive. Lucky duck.
Sometimes, traveling with a dog is quite hilarious. Once while driving through New Mexico in a light snow, we stopped to get gas. Hubby left the keys in the car and the rest of us got out to go to the bathroom (read "get snacks" for the kids). Guess what? The dog got excited and ran to the window and placed his little bitty paw on the automatic door lock. Here's what I learned from that little episode.
1. Onstar considers it an emergency if a pet or person is locked in the car.
2. When you call Onstar, they are very concerned about said pet and ask if they are ok.
3. Onstar does not care about the fact that the car was locked because the dog stepped on the "lock" button while you were pumping gas.
4. Onstar can even talk to the dog while they are unlocking the car and you are standing outside in 32 degree weather with no coat cause it's in the car.
5. Gas stations in the middle of New Mexico do not keep the phone number for Onstar handy.
6. When you have an Onstar account, you should put their number in your phone.
I think that these are good tips for anyone traveling with a dog. Number one being "Don't leave the keys in the ignition."
Also, please don't leave your dog in the car when it is very hot or very cold. It's very dangerous and that is exactly why Onstar considers it an emergency.
If you RV, please don't leave your pet in the RV during extreme temperatures if you aren't heating or cooling it. AND never put your pet in a crate inside the RV while you are pulling it down the road. You just never know what might happen.
One time we opened our RV up after traveling and found this:
The knife fell off the magnetic rack and landed point down in the floor. That could kill a pet. For real.
If you have seen the movie "The Long, Long Trailer" with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, then you KNOW what can happen to someone who is riding in the RV while traveling down the road.
If you haven't seen the movie, click here to purchase it. You'll love it! It's very worth the 5 bucks.